Canna propagation


There is a group of Canna (美人蕉) growing in the courtyard, with bright red delicate flowers. They do not require any care at all, even no need to water during summer. The only job is to remove dead leaves during winter and they will come back year after year. They propagate by bulb multiplication and so all the plants have the same leaves and flowers.  

I collected some seeds last year and 20 of them germinated in propagator during spring. I planted the seedlings around the house. These seeds are the result of fertilization by pollination, I suspect may carry gene mixtures different from their parents. I notice some seedlings have pure green leaves and some have a reddish tint, I wonder if their flowers will be different from their parents or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment