Wild blackberry wine

Instead of just turning wild blackberry into coulis, which is wonderful with a dollop of yogurt, I play with making blackberry wine. Have drank it before in Croatia, from farmed blackberry, tasted very much like full bodied red wine.

Wild blackberry has very little juice compared with farmed one, so I add fermented rice, providing liquid that is naturally sweet. 

wild blackberry

cooked crushed wild blackberry

 

                                                           fermented rice


                                                        mixed blackberry and fermented rice

 
blackberry wine fermenting



1. Prepare fermented rice.

2. Cook wild blackberry until soft and crush the fruit, for easy extraction of flavor.

3. I used 1 part fermented rice with 2 parts cooked wild blackberry, add a teaspoon of neutral wine yeast to get the right alcohol content.

4. Cover with cling film, when bubble forms, move to a cool dark room, stir once everyday to ensure completed fermentation, until no more bubble forms, around 5 days.

5. Leave in cool room until all solid sink to the bottom, around 3 months, ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment