Hong Kong beekeeper

 





 

At the end of a hike down to Ho Chung, saw a house filled with beehives and a beekeeper working. I have 2 hives since last summer and keen to learn more tricks

Beekeeper Mr Tse is very friendly, showed me his hives and the key points in keeping bees in Hong Kong. One of his tricks is to install a queen excluder on the entrance to stop swarming during summer months.

An interesting concept, I discussed with the bee association in Ireland, they agree that it is workable, as long as the colony is not very strong /big. If the wish to swarm is too strong, the worker bees will try to pull the queen out through the excluder and killing her in the process.

Then I found out that Asian bees are less productive than European bees, roughly half the colony size, that explains why it works here.

 


 

Ms Tse's honey, from December harvest is mainly from 鴨腳木, is very floral with a distinctive bitterness at the end, unusual.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment