Hawthorn berry liqueur and syrup

In western herbal medicine, hawthorn flower, leaf and berry are good medicine for the heart, improves circulation, soften and dilate artery etc. I just like the concept of collecting wild food and turn to good use.

hawthorn

hawthorn berries

hawthorn berry in liqueur made with flower and leaves in spring

 

The liqueur is best make with flower and leaves in spring, then with berries in autumn, 2 steps to perfection.

Also followed a recipe to make syrup, another way to enjoy the health benefits.

 

hawthorn berry syrup

It was a shock to find that these wild hawthorn berries have absolutely no flavor! Cooking the berries in water yield a beautiful red solution, but mildly bitter and no sweet or sour taste at all. I have to add vinegar and sugar to create a flavor, I will never make this syrup again.

No comments:

Post a Comment